Francis Howell Families calls on the Board of Education to immediately restore recess para positions for elementary schools.
These part time staff positions are for recess monitors who provide classroom teachers a break for communication with parents, preparing make-up work, grading homework, etc. The administrative load on these teachers has only increased during the pandemic, and these recess paras contribute to the quality of the students’ education in a cost effective way.
The district seems to be able to find money in the operating budget for wasteful or less important items that could be instead put to work to restore these positions.
Operating budget examples:
- Money to hire Critical Race Theory consultants and to send district personnel to CRT-laced training.
- Money to purchase books with graphic sexual materials, pedophelia, gang rape, etc.
- $1 Million annual budget allocation for “strategic planning” (not spent)
- $20,000 for “Thought Exchange”, which lacks proper controls to insure single voting of only district patrons.
- $63,000 district expense to provide ACT testing of Juniors
- Excessive administrative staff positions at central office
In addition to the above wasteful operating expenses, the district has a dismal record on capital expense control. Shortfalls and overruns in capital budgets will eventually need to be funded from additional bond issues, tax increases, or the operating budget.
Prop S overruns:
- $79,000,000 (91%) budget overrun for new FHN high school.
- $299,000 (79%) budget overrun for playground equipment for three elementary schools, including “Miracle freestanding rock wall” and “Miracle museum”
Do we really need $274K in playground equipment for a single elementary school?
- Security Vestibules budget overrun of $1,275,000 (162%)
- Parking lot budget overruns of $1,092,000 (99%)
What you can do:
- Contact the school board and urge them to reinstate recess paras immediately.
- Attend the next school meeting and voice your support: 6:30pm, Jan 20, 2022, Westwood Trail Academy
- Make sure that you vote on April 5 and get your friends and neighbors to do the same.
- Find out more about the candidates that we are endorsing – Adam Bertrand and Randy Cook
- Please contact us if you have questions, or find out how you can help us return Francis Howell to fiscal sanity.
- Consider making a donation to help us elect better school board members.