FHSD announced that they have removed several books with sexually explicit graphic images that are illegal under a new state law that went into effect August 28, 2022.
These books are:
- Attack on Titan (manga series) by Hajime Isayama
- Bleach Volume 21 by Tite Kubo
- Flamer by Mike Curato
- Himawari House by Harmony Becker
- Home After Dark by David Small
- Stitches by David Small
- This Book is Gay by Juno Dawson
Note: Click on the links above for reviews and sample images from “Flamer” and “This Book is Gay”
Francis Howell Families has repeatedly complained that many of our books are not age appropriate, especially some that have been in our middle schools for children as young as 11. We appreciate that the district is finally taking this limited action. It is important to note, however, that these books were only removed because of explicit graphical images as prohibited by the new law. Many other books without images remain that are also not age appropriate, such as those mentioned in our previous article:
See what Francis Howell has in middle school libraries for children as young as 11
We will continue to try to work with the district to remove or restrict materials that are not age appropriate. Parents need much more transparency and control of content provided to their children.
What else you can do:
- Attend a FHSD School board meeting and voice your concerns –
See here for schedule and more information.
- Please contact us to find out more, help us to find and elect a better school board, or to share your concerns and experiences
- Consider making a donation to help us elect better school board members.