The SCC Parents Association has created a great new resource for parents who are concerned about sexually explicit and inappropriate books. Using this new site, anyone can:
- Quickly see which books are available in each school library, categorized using a ratings system developed by BookLooks.org
- Read a report on each book, including excerpts and page number references
- Learn about district policies and how to challenge a book in your district
- Learn about Missouri laws regarding providing explicit sexual material to children, and how to file a police report.
Click here to access the site: sccparentsassociation.com/sccpa-library/
How to challenge a book in FHSD:
District Policy/Regulation 6241 says:
If the questioner wishes to file a formal challenge, a copy of the District’s Procedures for Public Complaints about the Curriculum and Instructional or Media Materials and a Request for Reconsideration of Learning Resources form shall be handed or mailed to the concerned party by the principal and returned within a 14- calendar day period.
We recommend that you follow these steps:
- Email your student’s building principal and briefly describe your objection to the book. Request a copy of the policy and form.
- attach a copy of the BookLooks.org pdf review of the book
- CC: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- follow up your email with a personal phone call. Be courteous.
- complete the form and return
What else you can do:
- Attend a FHSD School board meeting and voice your concerns –
See here for schedule and more information.
- Please contact us to find out more, help us to find and elect a better school board, or to share your concerns and experiences
- Consider making a donation to help us elect better school board members.