- When did the admin or staff become aware of the protest and what plans were made?
- Did admin or staff approve of a protest or “walk-out” during the school day?
- Were students either allowed or encouraged to leave class to attend?
- Did staff or faculty participate or encourage participation in the event or have class activities around it?
- Were Pro-Life students at the event told by admin or staff that they may not mention “God”?
- When were the police made aware of the protest?
- Was there any violence?
- Does FHSD pick and choose which political views to support, or would they do the same for opposing views?
- Are there existing policies regarding student protests during the school day, and were they followed?
- Have/will there be any disciplinary actions taken against students or staff as a result of the walkout?
On June 1st, we received the following response:
Thanks for your email. Here is what I have to share:
Individuals have a right to protest. The staff at the building will always work to ensure any protest that occurs is peaceful and safe.
Dr. Nathan Hoven
Although Dr. Hoven does not respond to any of our questions, his response is alarming in that he feels that students have the right to walk out of class for a political protest. Our understanding since this occurred is that no students or faculty have been disciplined for participating in the walk out. Would this have been permitted for a protest of opposing views?
We look forward to working with the incoming interim Superintendent, Dr. Roumpas, to return our schools to a focus on academics. Maintaining order and discipline is essential to student achievement. Administration and staff should not use class time to promote their favored political causes.
What you can do:
- Attend a board meeting to voice your concerns – See here for schedule and more information.
- Please contact us to find out more, help us to find and elect a better school board, or to share your concerns and experiences
- We are hard at work looking for (3) great candidates for FHSD board in the April 2023 election. Please contact us if you might be interested.
- Consider making a donation to help us elect better school board members.